Are there advisors available for students interested in health professions?
Yes. If you are attending Colorado State and are interested in entering a health profession that requires professional school, you will need to meet academic and other requirements before you can attend professional school.  The Health Professions advisors are here to help you understand these requirements.

What do I major in to be considered a Pre-Health student?
Since Pre-Health professions, (Pre-Medicine, Pre-Physical Therapy, etc.), are not majors at Colorado State, you will need to choose an academic major. Professional schools neither recommend, nor prefer any particular major.

Thus, you CAN and SHOULD choose a major because you are interested in that area of study, not because you believe that major will get you admitted to a professional school.  You do not have to choose a science major; however, you will need to complete the prerequisite coursework, including science courses, required by each professional school to which you intend to apply.

Keep in mind that even though professional schools don’t specify a particular major, students who choose a non-science major are advised to take science courses in tracks designed for science majors.

Being “Pre-Med,” “Pre-PT,” “Pre-OT,”……etc., is more of a state-of-mind than anything. It is a commitment and an intention to meet the requirements for admission to a professional program.

If I am interested in a Health Profession that doesn’t require a Bachelor’s degree, do I have to choose a major?
A Bachelor’s Degree is strongly recommended. You may decide that you do not want to be a dentist (for example), or you may not be admitted to a professional school. Your major can serve as an alternate career path. Having a bachelor’s degree will make you a stronger candidate. Finally, a B.S. or B.A. gives you the option of going to graduate school.
What if my major advisor doesn’t know much about the health program in which I am interested?
Your major advisor will help you understand the requirements for your major. The health profession advisor’s role is to advise you on coursework and other requirements for the professional program. By working with your major advisor and a health professions advisor, you will know what is needed to meet both sets of requirements.
How do I get health professions advising?
Advisors are available by appointment only.  To make an appointment with a Health Professions Advisor, call (970) 491-7095 or stop by the Collaborative for Student Achievement office at 1415 Meridian Ave in the on-campus stadium. It is your responsibility to meet with your health professions advisor at least once each semester.
Do you have walk-in hours?
No, we do not have walk-in hours. Advisors are available by appointment only. To make an appointment with a Health Professions Advisor, call (970) 491-7095 or stop by the Collaborative for Student Achievement office at 1415 Meridian Ave in the on-campus stadium.
Can I apply to a health professions professional program without talking to a health professions advisor?
It is to your advantage to work with a health professions advisor. They can provide advising regarding your chosen career; they stay current with changes in professional program requirements, especially the Colorado schools; they may write letters of reference for you; and they assist you with the process of applying and interviewing for professional schools. Pre-medical students who work closely with an advisor, for instance, are two to three times more likely to be admitted to medical school.
Success in gaining entrance to a professional program is almost entirely up to you, but your advisor can assist you in that endeavor.